Friday, February 29, 2008

And now, the things Ive been chewing on lately...

The Pew Forum released its survey on religion and public life recently. I think we're beginning to see that "falling away." The number of people I've encountered lately who are clueless or hostile to Christianity is pretty amazing. Shouldn't be, but it is. I can also remember when afterschool programs shut down early on Wednesday, because it's a church night; now, they even hold practices on Sunday morning. And the sharp rise in food prices due to wheat and corn shortages is worrisome. Not the kind of worry that keeps me up at night, but the kind that makes me chew the inside of my lip when I think about it.

I don't know. I feel like things are winding down, that time is winding down, and that we who believe should be kicking it into high gear.

But what, exactly, is "high gear?"

I'm tired of the programs. I was reading some site the other day that talked about "Christians making an impact on the culture" and as many times as I've heard that phrase, it really, really hit me wrong this time. It isn't about the culture; it's about souls, about lives, about bringing an increase to the Kingdom.

If we ban gay marriage but do not lead others to Christ, we have accomplished nothing.

If our protests lead to the cancellation of a slimy tv show, but we do not lead others to Christ, we have accomplished nothing.

Though we increase our membership to thousands and raise millions for new pretty buildings, but do not lead others to Christ, we have done nothing. Nothing!

I'm so guilty of this! :( I have a terrible fear of strangers, and I'm all too likely to get defensive over my faith, rather than going on the offensive for Him. It is time for me to put aside my whiniy, pitiful excuses and speak out for Him.

We must train church members, truly disciple them, teach people that it isn't about us--it's about God. What is His plan? How do we fit in?

No comments: